The first requirement is to make sure that you have "hardware-assisted visualization support" enabled in your bios. This is dependent on the hardware manufacturer, for example ASUS calls this "secure virtual machine"
1. VMware Workstation can be downloaded from http://downloads.vmware.com/d/
The product can be evaluated for free for 30 days.
2. The install process is very easy and I installed mine on RHEL 5.5 64 bit
3. Download the ESX server media. This can also be evaluated for free for 60 days
Rather than burn the iso and wasted a DVD, place the iso on a shared filesystems or upload to the system run VMware Workstation
4. Once installed, start "VMware Workstation Console"
5. Create a new VM using the following steps